Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Finding its Way Home!

At the beginning of this year I set myself a challenge-

To make this quilt!


So since January this year I have been working on my foundation piecing.

I aimed to get one block made every month or so.

And ten months later I have completed the last of the nine blocks!

Yippee!



It is a rather time consuming process.

I first trace the 8 pieces onto light interfacing with a sharp pencil.....

 then choose the fabrics and cut them into strips....

after this I take a moment or two to remember how the process works-

fabric right sides together, under the interfacing piece with the lines facing up, sew, finger press open and on to the next section.

Once this is mastered it is quite easy!

HA!  HA! I hear you laughing.


But once your brain computes all this, its just a case of sewing on the lines!

And there is a certain satisfaction in seeing it come together!

So the 9 compasses are finding their way home-


This is the quilt on my design floor.

I don't think this will be the arrangement for their final home.

(I can see from this photo that the grey with white star fabric pieces are sitting next to one another.....)

AND.....



There are, however, major design flaws in these blocks-

Can you spot them?


Now do I unpick ( which is such a trial in foundation piecing!)

or do I just put it down to experience?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Have a great day!

SUZ

10 comments:

BubzRugz said...

That is fantastic.... i have not foundation pieced so am full of admiration... it took me ages to find the faults and only because you mentioned them... some are facing incorrectly???? I would definitely NOT unpick.... unless of course it is going to drive you insane..... you can make them part of the design.....
It's really lovely - I like the colours you have done it in...
Hugz

Rafael's Mum said...

I have also been looking and looking and can't find anything... I agree that some of the stars are not facing the same way as others (i.e. the main star in the middle being straight North/South) but that is not a fault, as I think you say you haven't sewn it yet so that is a 90 degree turning job if you DO want them all the same direction and not an unpicking job. In the actual blocks I really cannot find fault... do tell us what you think it is!! I really love the quilt. What a work! Fantastic!

Frances Leate said...

I definitely would not unpick because you have used lots of different fabrics and the blocks look great. It will be a wonderful quilt as it is IMHO. Happy stitching!

quiltercaroline said...

Hi. What an amazing quilt, I love it! I'm not sure what the mistake you have mentioned is! But in general if you can live with something that you have seen then leave it - if it is really going to drive you mad and lessen your enjoyment at looking at the quilt then I say unpick it. It is now or never as after quilting is just not on. try not to focus on the little errors but on the huge achievement it is to have completed it! Well Done. Caroline

Deanna said...

Oh. My. Word. That is a beautiful quilt! If you just CAN'T live with the faults, I would take it off your hands. :)

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

OK Suz, remember the wise words of the quilting world which I live by. Unless you can see those mistakes when you're riding past the quilt on a horse, they don't matter. And as I can't see them squinting at them in close up through my glasses then they probably don't really matter enormously. DO NOT UNPICK!!! These look so amazingly fabulous and I'd be tempted to unpick if they were mine but I generally chuck stuff in a drawer for a few days and, when you get them back out again, the mistake has kind of been absorbed into the whole thing and really doesn't matter.

I really stopped by to admire your chubby stars quilt which is just wonderful. I'd seen it in Karen's photostream but can't remember if I knew it was yours. I love the quilt and I love her quilting.

Sparky said...

Oh Hello....Suz Suz Suz....these should be sent it to Stash Manicure...ahhh me....lol for our blue JANUARY banner...YES?? lol
and any other blue quilts you have...huhhh yes ? lol...Ok, please write me...lol

StitchinByTheLake said...

So very beautiful - what a challenge it must have been! blessings, marlene

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Yup, I love this one too being a paper piecing but who still hasn't had the balls to try a mariners compass yet!

Marg said...

This is fantastic, I'm never going to have the courage to try one of these. I'm not even going to look for any faults, i just think it looks fabulous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...